• The 'Comrade' title is now available in a fetching communist red for purchase by all of you capitalists who survived the Sietch gulag during the people's revolution. And in the spirit of all communists everywhere, it was broken until the capitalist pig dogs fixed it. ;)
  • Your beloved Boot here with a confession. The Boot tangled its laces and failed to properly set up the new Comrade user title. Thanks to the kind intercession of Emperor Tippy this failure has been corrected and the new user title is now actually on sale to everybody.

Quest Blaggards: Avarice of the Barrowmaze

Bear Ribs

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 25, 2019
Reaction score
9,036
Wouldn't they stick with their owners? I put Mig in front so her dog would be available to potentially sniff out ambushes or prey, and Jarer in the middle since the pony should be faster so he can respond to incidents at the front or back quickly.
 

Ixian

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 24, 2020
Reaction score
203
Wouldn't they stick with their owners? I put Mig in front so her dog would be available to potentially sniff out ambushes or prey, and Jarer in the middle since the pony should be faster so he can respond to incidents at the front or back quickly.
Yes, if you want that to be the case it works fine.

Not going to wait for more votes, pretty sure you are the player base. Update shortly.
 
Spring, Day 1, Time: 10:00.00 - Overland Phase (Barrowmoors)

Ixian

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 24, 2020
Reaction score
203
[X] Depart the Village of Helix - Leave the village and move on to the Overland Travel Phase. Please note your "Marching Order", detailing what sort of formation the group is moving in.
- [X] The Barrows
-- [X] Exploration Speed (4 Hours)
Spring, Day 1, Time: 10:00.00 - Overland Phase (Barrowmoors)

The party departs the village of Helix, entering the Barrowmoors on a mist-shrouded morning. The first thing immediately noticeable as they trudge down the poor path, lined with small stone cairns, is the silence. The moors are incredibly quiet, almost unnaturally so. The only real noise is the group's footfalls, the sucking sound as they pull their boots from the muck that leaves prints that quickly fill with dark peaty water, and the occasional croaking of unseen bullfrogs. The next most noticeable thing is the swarms of mosquitos, that seem to endlessly attack the vulnerable flesh of the silent tomb robbers.

Progress was slow as the group carefully monitored the surroundings and attempted to navigate the rough terrain of the moors, following the overgrown and in places submerged path. Then Caza called out "I see something ahead! To the left of the path, must be forty feet out!" The group came to a slow halt, Kethis Mig's herd dog moved forward roughly ten feet and stopped, its hair raised and a low growl in its throat. Caza had spotted what appeared to be a campsite on a slightly elevated position, presumably to keep it out of the murky water of the moor, a still-smoldering campfire could be clearly seen, along with two small tents, one of which had its opening flaps undone, moving slightly in the wind...

"I don't know if I like the look of this" spoke Artur Kvothe. "Feels like a trap to me.... bandits maybe"?


[ ] Ignore the campsite and continue on to the Barrowmounds.

[ ] Move closer to inspect the campsite.

To save on time, consider options outside of the Town Phase to be fairly freeform. In this case, if you choose to investigate the campsite, you are free to approach it however you wish. Important information for me to know is the parties' marching order, what items they have at the ready (in their hands), and what other actions they might be taking (such as sneaking, flanking, looking for traps, and so on).
 
Last edited:

Bear Ribs

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 25, 2019
Reaction score
9,036
[X] Same Marching Order
-[X]All will have their weapons at the ready.

[X] Move closer to inspect the campsite.
--[X]Kethis Mig will attempt to discern what her dog is growling at, and the group will warily approach that first.
--[X]Artur Kvothe with watch for traps.
--[X]Kaza Dav, Kethis Mig, and the Dog will watch/smell the ground for footprints and attempt to discern which way the campers went.
--[X]All others will watch for enemies.
---[X]The group shall make a wide circle around the camp and check for an ambush before entering.
 
Spring, Day 1, Time: 10:10.00 - Overland Phase (Barrowmoors)/Colossal Leach (Surprise Round)

Ixian

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 24, 2020
Reaction score
203
Spring, Day 1, Time: 10:10.00 - Overland Phase (Barrowmoors)

Kethis moves forward next to her dog, Bruiser, and intently studies the camp. The dog remains agitated, but Kethis doesn't spot whatever it is that has upset her hound. Nor can she or Kaza make out any visible prints in the muck of the moor.
Spotting (INT): 1d20-1 = 9

As the rest of the party splits and begins to surround the area, Artur raises a closed fist. Silently he points to a low tripwire connected to several small bells, obviously meant to alert the camp should anyone approach from the path. The group skirts around the simple trap, and attempts to finish the encirclement.
Find Trap (INT): 1d10+1 = 11 (Crit)

As the party nears completion of the maneuver, Bruiser, with Kethis close behind, pushes forward, his growls turning to frantic barking. The quick dog moves through the camp and stops near the center of it, then within seconds the murky water surrounding the elevated area goes from a incredible stillness to frothing waves as something large thrashes its way onto the semi-dry ground. A colossal leach lurches forward...
Brutis Ref SV: 1d20+2 = 18
Kethis Ref SV: 1d20+0 = 10

The dog quickly darts to the side, its master in tow, both narrowly avoiding the circular maw filled with serrated teeth, hungry for warm flowing blood. With its original targets out of reach the foul worm flips back into the murky water and twist towards Kaza, moving swiftly in the water.
Colossal Leach Atk: 1d20+4 = 17

It strikes out at the hapless gambler, her scream cut off sharply as her face vanished beneath the bog waters. It would seem to all involved that the dice simply weren't with her this day, as a crimson stain began to spread...
Damage: 1d6 = 3

Mere second later, Kaza's emaciated corpse bobs to the surface, and the large beast turns towards the slightly spread center group...

[ ] Fight Back! (DM will roll initiative)
- [ ] Write-In Plan of Action

[ ] Fall Back! (Leach will get one attack of opportunity on one member of the center group)
- [ ] Towards the Barrowmounds
-- [ ] Write-In Plan of Action
- [ ] Towards the village of Helix
-- [ ] Write-In Plan of Action
 
Study of Barrowmoor Fauna and Flora: The Colossal Leech

Ixian

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 24, 2020
Reaction score
203
Mazzahs the Magnificent: Study of Barrowmoor Fauna and Flora

The Colossal Leech


A unique specimen to the Barrowmoor, the Colossal Leech is the largest of its kind in the known realm at five feet in length, and averaging around two hundred pounds in weight. While several other giant species of Leech's certainly exist in various locations in the lands of the Border Lords, all are significantly dwarfed by the Colossal Leech. Like its smaller cousins, the Colossal Leech feeds on blood, latching onto a victim and draining them until they are nothing but a husk. Their razor-sharp maw allows deep penetration into their prey, most often members of the local crocodile population, whose thick hides necessitate such deadly tools. Their own hides are also quite thick themselves, giving them ample protection from the teeth and claws of their prey. While slow on land, the beasts move swiftly through the fetid waters of their home, allowing them to catch any prey that attempts to escape their ambush.

Unlike the smaller examples of their brethren found elsewhere, which often swarm in great numbers, the Colossal Leech's are highly territorial, with females controlling large ranges equaling roughly six miles per Leech which are vigorously patrolled and kept clear of rivals. Males of the species, often a foot shorter and fifty pounds lighter, are nomadic, moving between the female's territories in search of willing mates. When a female spawns a new brood they often kill or drive off any females while allowing the males to remain under their protection until they reach maturity.

It's a little-known fact, that the Colossal Leech is also an excellent source of alchemical reagents and apothecaric ingredients. Most notable in healing balms and potions, which allows those organs to fetch good prices from practitioners and within the eastern cities. In addition, their tough hide is prized in the creation of sturdy leather armors. Unfortunately, the sheer lethality of the beast prevents all but the largest or most experienced of hunting parties from profiting from them.​
 

Bear Ribs

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 25, 2019
Reaction score
9,036
[X] Fight Back! (DM will roll initiative)
- [X] Cithrel Olokas will throw her dagger, then retreat from reach.
- [X]All others will attempt to close and attack the leech.
 
Colossal Leech (Round 1)

Ixian

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 24, 2020
Reaction score
203
Spring, Day 1, Time: 10:10.10 - Overland Phase (Barrowmoors)
Combat Round 1


The monster has turned from the unfortunate Kaza, but the rest of the party moves forward to slaughter the beast.

Initiative Rolls:

Torvald Gravelbeard: 1d20-1 = 18
Cithrel Olokas: 1d20+0 = 18
Jarer Bamon (Mounted): 1d20+0 = 17
Romef Luchuld: 1d20-1 = 15
Durvin Fronk: 1d20+2 = 16
Has Morun: 1d20+0 = 12
Kethis Mig: 1d20+0 = 12
Artur Kvothe: 1d20+1 = 9
Odo Littlefoot: 1d20+1 = 9
Bruiser (Herd Dog): 1d20+2 = 5
Colossal Leech: 1d20-2 = 3

The sucking muck of the bog does not make quick movement easy and with the water level anywhere from ankle to waist deep, the footing is treacherous. Despite this the group surges forward, attempting to close the gap with the towering leech. Shouts of "Move to the left, the left by Ygg!" and "Watch its mouth, don't let it clamp down on you!" were called out as they maneuvered into position.

Olokas, drew the simple elven dagger from her belt, and closed her right eye while extending her left arm, hand flat and palm down. Her tongue poking from between her lips as she concentrated on her target, then flung the blade forward with force. It swiftly embeds itself in the beast, but seemingly fails to penetrate its tough hide. Frowning, the Elf Sage backs away from the imminent fray now deprived of a weapon.

Cithrel Olokas Atk (Dagger, Thrown): 1d20+0 = 12

Jarer Bamon, mounted on his pony Skitter, reaches it first. "For glory" he yells as he plunges his pitchfork into the side of the monster, turning his head to see if Durvin was watching as he did so. The beast lets out an eardrum-shattering squeal, which echos across the moor. Deep black ichor spills from its side and it trashes away from its tormenter. Durvin gives the young lad a wry smile, even as she continues to move forward.
Jarer Bamon Atk (Pitchfork): 1d20+0+1(Mounted) = 19
Damage: 1d8+1d8(Mounted) = 13

Bruiser, the herd dog rushes to the right of the thrashing leech, roughly ten feet distant, barking like mad. But does not charge forward to attack the leech. Instead, lunging forward then backpedaling several times as the monster twists in the water. Perhaps looking for a good opportunity or opening?
Bruiser (Herd Dog) Atk: 1d20+1 = 3

In a frenzy, the Colossal Leech flexes forward in a lightning-quick strike, sinking deep into the side of Skitter, blood gushing into its rapidly churning maw. Maddened with pain, Skitter begins to buck and kick, tossing Jarer backward off Skitters back and into the muck and fetid water.
Colossal Leech Atk (Bite): 1d20+4 = 20
Damage: 1d6+1d4(drain) = 3
Jarer Bamon Horsemenship Check: 1d20(Trained)+0 = 2 (Forced Dismounted, Forced Prone)

[ ] Write-In Plan of Action.

Currently, all remaining Human party members will reach the Colossal Leech next round, Halflings and Dwarfs the following round. Jarer is prone in the water, and will have to spend the next round getting up, Olokas is roughly 55' away, Jarer, and Skitters within touching range, the other Humans 10' away in a rough semi-circle, the Halfling and Dwarf a little further back at 20'.
 

Bear Ribs

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 25, 2019
Reaction score
9,036
[X] Everybody except Olokas attacks the Leech
-[X] Jarer stands up first.

It doesn't seem like there's any real plan to be made, the characters don't have any options like Power Attack or any spells, just attack or run away.
 

Ixian

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 24, 2020
Reaction score
203
Mobbing it with numbers is a perfectly viable option, and may even be the best option.

Of course other options are having your other dagger users throw their weapons at range, your encirclement is only partially complete, so you could try and finish surrendering the Leech in case it attempts to bolt. You also have the issue of the panicked pony which will likely attempt to bolt when/if the Leech detaches, so you could attempt to get control of it before hand.

Another option would be using torches to get burn damage on it.

Another thing to consider is that this fight is causing a lot of noise in the normally quiet moor, which could draw unwanted attention from other local residents.
 
Colossal Leech (Round 2)/Overland Phase (Barrowmoors)

Ixian

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 24, 2020
Reaction score
203
Spring, Day 1, Time: 10:10.20 - Overland Phase (Barrowmoors)
Combat Round 2

Initiative Rolls:


Romef Luchuld: 1d20-1 = 17
Jarer Bamon: 1d20+0 = 16
Kethis Mig: 1d20+0 = 16
Odo Littlefoot: 1d20+1 = 14
Bruiser (Herd Dog): 1d20+2 = 11
Torvald Gravelbeard: 1d20-1 = 9
Cithrel Olokas: 1d20+0 = 9
Durvin Fronk: 1d20+2 = 9
Colossal Leech: 1d20-2 = 9
Has Morun: 1d20+0 = 8
Artur Kvothe: 1d20+1 = 6
Skitter (Pony): 1d20+1 = 4

Romef lept forward, laughing as a madman might, swiftly he brought down his ax upon the writhing leech. The sharp bladed edge sunk deep into the flesh of the leech, hot black ichor spurted in great streams, splashing across the mirthful woodsmen. The massive leech detached from the frantic pony, and curled into a tight coil. Romef shouted "Another for grim Crom"! The rest of the party joined his victory cheer.
Romef Luchuld Atk: 1d20+0 = 20
Critical Hit Table: 1d4+0 = 1 (Opertunistic Strike)
Damage: 1d6+1d3 (Crit) = 4

Spring, Day 1, Time: 10:20.20 - Overland Phase (Barrowmoors)

With the Colossal Leech slain, the group began to search the small camp. They swiftly found two drained corpses, floating nearby. They wore rough clothing and boiled leather, the first was a middle-aged man with deep scares across his face, he bore several thief markings branded into his skin. Most would seemingly be from the eastern cities, he also tattoos that marked him as being a member of several small thieves guilds. His leather armor was in decent shape, and he wore a dagger and shortsword at his belt. In his boots were three silver pieces and fifthteen copper pieces. A parchment scroll of somekind had been in a small leather pouch on his person, but the fetid water had ruined it completely. The other man was younger but dressed much the same, and with similar, but fewer branding and tattoos. He had a light crossbow and six bolts, as well as an iron helm. In a small coin purse, he had one silver piece and twelve copper pieces. He wore a plain silver ring on his left hand.

In the camp itself, was a simple cooking set, two small tents, two bedrolls, four rations, a spyglass, a sledgehammer, two shovels, a hand spade, a fifty-foot coil of rope, eight torches, seven days worth of rations for two people, eight iron spikes, a shield, and a small locked chest. No key was found.

Caza Dav's corpse was pulled from the water and lain along the embankment, her pale face drained of blood. A few members of the group muttered various holy words of law over the body before turning back to the search of the camp.

Jarer meanwhile was seeing to Skitter, the poor pony was still trembling after its encounter with the leech, and its side was still bleeding slightly. The animal was injured badly and unlikely to carry much weight, it could use medical attention, but the party had no supplies.


[ ] Search the camp in-depth (Cost: 30 Minutes, reduce by 5 minutes per assigned character, minimum of 5 minutes)

[ ] Attempt to open the chest
- [ ] Pick Lock
- [ ] Smash
- [ ] Carry

[ ] Continue your travels
- [ ] The Barrows
-- [ ] Choose movement speed, Double Time (One and a Half Hours per hex), Regular Time (Three Hours per hex), Exploration Time (Four Hours per Hex)
- [ ] Exploration (Choose the next hex to move into)
-- [ ] Choose movement speed, Double Time (One and a Half Hours per hex), Regular Time (Three Hours per hex), Exploration Time (Four Hours per Hex)

[ ] List what if any gear or items you are taking, and who is carrying them.

[ ] Write-In (For any additional task)

XP Rewards:
3 xp for Romef Luchuld
2 xp for Cithrel Olokas
2 xp for Jarer Bamon
1 xp for all other characters
 

Bear Ribs

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 25, 2019
Reaction score
9,036
[X] Search the camp in-depth (Odo Littlefoot, Has Morun, Kethis Mig, Cithrel Olokas)
-[X] In the event of suspicious potential traps, Cithrel Olokas probes it with her 10' pole.
--[X]Recover Caza Dav and Cithrel Olokas' daggers if possible. If they cannot be found, pass Durvin Fronk's dagger to her.
--[X]Loot Caza Mig's possessions (Iron Spike, Dice)

[X]Tend to Skitter as much as possible, at least calm the pony. (Jarer Bamon)

[X] Field Dress the Leech and prepare it for transport (Torvald Gravelbeard)
-[X] Cut down small trees and use the rope to construct a travois to haul it. (Romef Lochuld)
-[X] If transport is not viable, Torvald Gravelbeard will instead remove alchemically useful organs and the hide if usable.

[X[ Loot The Camp
-[X] Coins and Ring into group funds, ring to be appraised later.
-[X] Shield (Artur Kvothe)
-[X] Crossbow and Bolts (Durvin Fronk)
-[X] Iron Helm (Romef Luchuld)
-[X] Coil of Rope (Kethis Mig)
-[X] Distribute Rations evenly, there are 18 total so 2 to each survivor.
-[X] Distribute Torches evenly, we have 16 total now so 1 for Odo Littlefoot and Kethis Mig, 2 for each other.
-[X] Cooking Set (Odo Littlefoot)
-[X] Spyglass (Cithrel Olokas)
-[X] Tents (Has Morun and Artur Kvothe)
-[X] Bedrolls (Torvold Gravelbeard, Artur Kvothe)
-[X] Sledgehammer (Has Morun)
-[X] Shovels (Torvold Gravelbeard and Cithrel Olokas)
-[X] Iron Spikes (We should have9 so distribute one per survivor)
-[X] Hand Spade (Jarer Bamon)

[X] Attempt to open the chest
-[X]Check for Traps (Artur Kvothe)
-[X] Pick Lock (Durvin Fronk)
-[X] Carry if that fails
 
Spring, Day 1, Time: 10:45.20 - Overland Phase (Barrowmoors)

Ixian

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 24, 2020
Reaction score
203
Spring, Day 1, Time: 10:45.20 - Overland Phase (Barrowmoors)

A thorough scouring of the small campsite discovered freshly dug earth near the leftmost edge, buried was a small sack containing forty-four silver pieces.

Meanwhile, Romef attempts to fashion a crude travois in order to haul the leech carcass. He manages to finish it in a half-hour. Everyone else uses the time to sort gear and catch their breath following the confrontation with the vile leech. Once finished, the leech was loaded onto the travois and tied down using Kethis's rope.

Crafting Roll: 1d20+1 = 14

Artur checks over the small chest found and looked for any traps. After a few minutes, he was able to spot a small needle inset within the lock. Another few minutes and he pulled the needle free, and tossed it into the murky waters. With a grunt, Artur tossed the small chest to Durvin, who popped the lock almost immediately. Inside was another twenty silver, a small jeweled silver necklace, and three hundred copper.
Artur Find Trap: 1d10+1 = 10
Artur Disable Trap: 1d10+ 1 = 5
Durvin Pick Lock: 1d20+2 = 17

XP Rewards:
1 xp for Artur Kvothe
1 xp for Durvin Fronk

I honestly thought this trap would kill someone, but nope, Artus got exactly what he needed to find the simple trap, and then disarm it. Wow

[ ] Continue your travels
- [ ] The Barrows
-- [ ] Choose movement speed, Double Time (One and a Half Hours per hex), Regular Time (Three Hours per hex), Exploration Time (Four Hours per Hex)
- [ ] Exploration (Choose the next hex to move into)
-- [ ] Choose movement speed, Double Time (One and a Half Hours per hex), Regular Time (Three Hours per hex), Exploration Time (Four Hours per Hex)

[ ] Write-In (For any additional task)
 
Last edited:

Bear Ribs

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 25, 2019
Reaction score
9,036
[X] Bury the Dead(No use increasing the risk of zombies later).
-[X]Everyone can take a turn with the shovels to spread the work around and make it faster.
-[X]Say last words over the dead men from the camp.
-[X] Loot the bells from trap on the path, and the dead men's shortsword, leather armor, and dagger.
-[X]Take their boots and outer clothes if they haven't been ruined by the swamp.

[X]Leather Armor (Durvin Fronk)
[X]Shortsword (Durvin Fronk)
[X]Dagger (Cithrel Olokas)
[X]Bells (Has Morun)

[X] Continue your travels
- [X] Return to Town (Pony Needs medical care and rest)
--[X] Exploration Time
--[X] Center group takes turns pulling the travois.

New Marching order
Vanguard
Artur Kvothe
Romef Luchuld
Kethis Mig

Center
Torvald Gravelbeard
Has Morun
Jarer Bamon

Rearguard
Cithrel Olokas
Odo Littlefoot
Durvin Fronk
 
Spring, Day 1, Time: 15:25.20 - Town Phase (Helix Village)

Ixian

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 24, 2020
Reaction score
203
Spring, Day 1, Time: 15:25.20 - Town Phase (Helix Village)

Working together, the party set to burying the three dead after efficiently looting their material possessions and passing them out. Unfortunately, their clothes and boots were completely ruined by the fetid waters. The soft soil and muck of the moor proved easy digging, and within half an hour the party was on its way back to Helix. The journey itself was uneventful and four hours later the group arrived at the village of Helix one member short, with a wounded pony, and a significant amount of silver...

[ ] Visit the Marketplace and Shops - The village is sizable, and while not everything can be found here, the village maintains a respectable stock of goods. (Time Cost: 30 Minutes per stop, Manpower Cost: 1 party member per full STR load of goods)

(10 cp = 1 sp)
(10 sp = 1 gp)
(100 gp = 1 pp)

- [ ] Turgen's Trade Goods
-- [ ] Post, Local (1 cp)
-- [ ] Post, Barony (5 cp)
-- [ ] Poor Wine (8 cp)
-- [ ] Decent Wine (2 sp, 5 cp)
-- [ ] Leather Backpack (1 sp)
-- [ ] Leather Pouch (2 cp)
-- [ ] Leather Quiver (10 sp)
-- [ ] Wooden Chest/Barrel (5 sp)
-- [ ] 1 Days Rations (5 cp)
-- [ ] Bedroll (1 sp)
-- [ ] Cooking Set (8 cp)
-- [ ] Poor Clothing (5 cp)
-- [ ] Decent Clothing (6 sp)
-- [ ] Water/Wineskin (1 sp)
-- [ ] x4 Tourchs (5 cp)
-- [ ] Flint & Steel (5 cp)
-- [ ] Light Crossbow (45 sp)
-- [ ] x12 Crossbow Bolts (3 sp)
-- [ ] Rope, 50' (6 sp)
-- [ ] Special Order - You can request an order via the Silver Standard Caravan Company
-- [ ] Sell Items
--- [ ] List Items

- [ ] The Axe And Anvil
-- [ ] Iron Chain/per foot (2 sp)
-- [ ] Crowbar (2 sp)
-- [ ] Chisel (5 cp)
-- [ ] Grappling Hook (5 sp)
-- [ ] x5 Caltrops (5 cp)
-- [ ] Iron Spike (4 sp)
-- [ ] Shovel (1 sp)
-- [ ] Hammer (1 sp)
-- [ ] Sledge Hammer (5 sp)
-- [ ] Flask (1 sp)
-- [ ] Chain Mail (380 sp)
-- [ ] Ring Mail (450 sp)
-- [ ] Shortsword (10 sp)
-- [ ] Longsword (15 sp)
-- [ ] Broadsword (15 sp)
-- [ ] Dagger/Dirk (5 sp)
-- [ ] Knife (5 cp)
-- [ ] Spear (3 sp)
-- [ ] Shield (8 sp)
-- [ ] Sell Items
--- [ ] List Items

- [ ] Valeron's Fletchery
-- [ ] Short Bow (25 sp)
-- [ ] Long Bow (45 sp)
-- [ ] x12 Arrows (1 sp)
-- [ ] Masterwork Short Bow (125 sp)

[ ] Visit the Village Notice Board - The notice board is located outside of the Aldermen's Hall, and often has jobs posted by local influential people, for a five silver fee, you can post your own notice looking for candidates to work as porters, torchbearers, or mercenaries for your Company.

- [ ] Look for work
-- [ ] Bogling Scalps - "Boglings, having conducted a series of raids on our caravans last summer, have been declared anathema by Baron Ironguard, as such a reward of three copper will be paid on each scalp turned into Alderman Siriac."
-- [ ] Looking for Caravan Guards - "The Silver Standard Caravan Company is offering wages to equal five silver pieces a day, plus two meals, and up to 15 silver pieces in event of an attack, for competent warriors."
-- [ ] Artifacts of Antiquarian Nature - "Offering collectors prices for any artifacts of historical or arcane nature, don't waste my time, or I'll turn you inside out. See me, Mazzahs the Magnificant, at my tower one hour northeast of the village."

- [ ] Post Recruitment Advertisement (5 sp)
-- [ ] Porters - 1d4+1 Level 0 candidates
-- [ ] Torchbearers - 1d4+1 Level 0 candidates
-- [ ] Mercenaries - 1d4 Level 0 candidates, 15% chance one candidate is Level 1

[ ] Visit the Shrine of St. Ygg - A small stone church near the center of the village, St. Ygg is one of the New Gods, whose worship is slowly pushing the old faiths out of the region. Services are held at 0800 and 1900 daily, with exception of the day of rest.

- [ ] Light Healing (4 sp)
- [ ] Major Healing (8 sp)
- [ ] Holy Symbol of St. Ygg (1 sp)
- [ ] Holy Water (2 sp)

[ ] Visit The Rozy Quartz Jeweler And Moneylender - Apparently, the shop's Halfling owner, a Harnold Huwen Reginald Huffnpuff, also known as H.H.R Huffnpuff is a widely known cheap scape. He is also one of the few people in the village with the funds to buy any kind of gem, or provide cash loans. [Time Cost: 1 Hour per selection, Manpower Cost: 1 party member)

- [ ] Appraise Items - Get H.H.R Huffnpuffs estimate on the value of any gems, jewelry, or similarly fine valuables. (Cost: 5 sp per item)
-- [ ] List Items
--- [ ] Sell Items
---- [ ] List Items


- [ ] Request Loan - H.H.R. Huffnpuff offers loans up to 300 gp per level, at a 25% interest rate.

- [ ] Invest Coin - H.H.R Huffnpuff is willing to negotiate with various merchant groups to invest money in their endeavors. This does not come without risk of course...
-- [ ] List Amount

[ ] Visit the Brazen Strumpet Tavern or The Foul Pheasant Tavern - Here you listen for rumors, blow off steam, or buy a round for the gang! (Time Cost: Variable, Manpower Cost: Variable)

-- [ ] The Brazen Strumpet
--- [ ] Listen for Rumors - Word spreads fast, and you never know when an interesting tidbit of information could make or break a score.
--- [ ] Carousing - Tomb Robbing is thirsty work, and if you have the cash to spend, why not spend it? Carousing allows Fighters, Thieves, Dwarfs, and Halflings to exchange their gold for xp. Every 100 gp allows a 1d5 xp gain, and a roll on the Carousing table.

-- [ ] The Foul Pheasant
--- [ ] Listen for Rumors - Word spreads fast, and you never know when an interesting tidbit of information could make or break a score.
--- [ ] Carousing - Tomb Robbing is thirsty work, and if you have the cash to spend, why not spend it? Carousing allows Fighters, Thieves, Dwarfs, and Halflings to exchange their gold for xp. Every 100 gp allows a 1d5 xp gain, and a roll on the Carousing table.
--- [ ] Gambling - Whispers say that the owner, Madam Perni Ticklebottom, runs a gambling den out of her back room. Could be a way to earn some quick coin...

[ ] Depart the Village of Helix - Leave the village and move on to the Overland Travel Phase. Please note your "Marching Order", detailing what sort of formation the group is moving in. (Time Cost: 3 Hours per Hex)
- [ ] Ironguard Motte
-- [ ] Choose movement speed, Double Time (One and a Half Hours per hex), Regular Time (Three Hours per hex), Exploration Time (Four Hours per Hex)
- [ ] Bogtown
-- [ ] Choose movement speed, Double Time (One and a Half Hours per hex), Regular Time (Three Hours per hex), Exploration Time (Four Hours per Hex)
- [ ] The Barrows
-- [ ] Choose movement speed, Double Time (One and a Half Hours per hex), Regular Time (Three Hours per hex), Exploration Time (Four Hours per Hex)
- [ ] Exploration (Choose the next hex to move into)
-- [ ] Choose movement speed, Double Time (One and a Half Hours per hex), Regular Time (Three Hours per hex), Exploration Time (Four Hours per Hex)

[ ] End the Day - Return to your lodgings and rest. Failure to end the day in town, or camp for the night in the Overland or Dungeon Phases will result in exhaustion for your characters and penalties to rolls.
 
Last edited:

Ixian

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 24, 2020
Reaction score
203
Something to note, shareholders will expect an equal cut of the profits once valuables are sold. This money goes into their inventory and can be spent only for them. The Company itself also receives a share, that money can be used to buy something for anyone.

This is important for carousing, which is the main source of XP for characters upon reaching Level 1.

You don't have to pay out shares, and can put all earnings from any given expedition into the Company coffers. But on a failed morale check it can cause shareholders to become angry and possibly even leave the Company, or start their own Company.
 

Bear Ribs

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 25, 2019
Reaction score
9,036
So I've been reading up the rules a bit and as far as I can tell, the level 0 characters aren't proficient with any weapons or armor except their shovel/hammer/whatever tool they started with. Am I reading that correctly and there's no point in outfitting the survivors with some kit?

Also shouldn't H.H.R. Huffnpuff help us out when things get rough?
 

Ixian

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 24, 2020
Reaction score
203
So I've been reading up the rules a bit and as far as I can tell, the level 0 characters aren't proficient with any weapons or armor except their shovel/hammer/whatever tool they started with. Am I reading that correctly and there's no point in outfitting the survivors with some kit?

Also shouldn't H.H.R. Huffnpuff help us out when things get rough?
Level 0s start with proficiency with whatever category of weapon they start with. For example a guy with a pitchfork can also use a spear. A guy with a club or cudgel could use a mace. But otherwise, yes they won't be able to use say, a short sword very well. They can still use it, but rolling a 1d10 instead of a 1d20.

H.H.R. Huffnpuff does give out loans if you are in need of cash, but it comes with a steep interest rate. He may also occasionally post jobs at the Notice Board.

Edit: On Level 0s and armor, I'd rule they can wear whatever makes sense for their occupations. Your Mercenary could wear up to plate if he somehow got it at level 0, but most of your characters are going to be using up to Studded Leather at best until they hit level 1.
 
Last edited:

Bear Ribs

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 25, 2019
Reaction score
9,036
H.H.R. Huffnpuff does give out loans if you are in need of cash, but it comes with a steep interest rate. He may also occasionally post jobs at the Notice Board.
I sense you're not familiar with his theme song. Next you'll be saying he's not actually a dragon.


So it looks like Artur's kinda hoarding the cash so that needs to stop and he needs to turn the looted monies into the company fund, which should put us at 45 silver and 535 Copper.

[X]Disburse cash to the company shareholders: 1 Silver and 50 copper each (-9 silver and -450 copper company funds, 36 Silver and 85 Copper remaining company funds, each member gets equivalent of 6 silvers)

[X]Extract Alchemical Components from the Leech, now that we're relatively safe from it attracting predators (Torvald Gravelbeard)
-[X]Also recover the skin if that's something useful or valuable.

[X]Stabling for Skitter to hasten recovery (Jarer Bamon, not sure if a stable actually exists in this town)

[X]Shop
-[X] Turgen's Trade Goods
--[X] 12x Crossbow Bolt (3sp) (Durvin Fronk)
-[X] The Axe And Anvil
--[X] 2 Spears (Has Morun, 3sp)
---[X] 1 Spear Purchased on behalf of Torvald Gravelbeard, 3sp)

[X] Look for work [Artur Kvothe]
-[X] Looking for Caravan Guards
--[X]Artur follows up this lead.

[X] Visit the Shrine of St. Ygg (Kethis Mig)
-[X]Purchase Holy Symbol (2sp)
-[X]Attend 1900 service
--[X]Shepherd is a traditional path to Priest right?

As an elf, is Cithrel Olokas automatically competent with a bow? I mean, they're stupid expensive so she can't afford one for a while but it will help with planning later.
 
Top Bottom